- One of the things I love about Sydney is its great art festivals. This year’s Sydney Art & About is themed 'In colour'. From Friday 21st September to Sunday 21st October, it celebrates how artists play with colour and the impact this has on how we experience our city.
The city’s streets, parks, squares and laneways will see art of all forms in unusual places with involvement from international and Australian artists, curators, cultural institutions and the people of Sydney.
- You’re walking through the city. You pass an electronic traffic-control mobile billboard. You stop, go back, check again. Yes, it is smiling at you, or perhaps even telling you to put your feet up and relax. In fact, there’s a comfortable chair nearby. These cheeky installations from Jasper Knight and Isabelle Toland are popping up in various city locations – and they’re guaranteed to make you smile. Looking and behaving like large-scale humanoid characters, Friendly Billboards reveals a whole new side to an object that will never again seem banal.
- Hyde Park, after dark, Emergence will illuminate trees with 3D images depicting stories from the past. Art & About also features exhibitions at the Art Gallery of NSW, Museum of Sydney, Australian Museum, Customs House and the State Library of NSW.
- Last Drinks, one more round at the Hotel Australia, using photographs, films, broadcast recordings and oral histories, relive one of Sydney’s most glamorous period. Opened in 1891 to coincide with a tour by French actress Sarah Bernhardt, its first guest, the long-gone Hotel Australia once refined atmosphere of the classic European hotels.
- The laneways and urban spaces of Wilmott Street, Barrack Street, Abercrombie Lane and Customs House will be transformed with installations for City Spaces. Curators, artists, architects and urban designers from across the globe will pave a laneway in gold, cast street urchins in bronze and deliver many more surprises!
- Lose yourself in the old Paris, with over 200 rare and original prints from the founder of documentary photography, the buildings, gardens, old shops and streets that had not been touched by Baron Haussmann’s 19th century modernisation program of Paris. Rarely permitted to travel, see the work of this influential photographer for the first time in Australia.
- And after an entire month of fun, food, music and endless surprises, George Street will host a massive, free closing night street party on Saturday 20th October.
- If you are staying at Base Sydney, this fantastic festival is literally on your door step! So make sure you explore the city now and see it a complete different way.
See you all on George Street on the 20th October!
Sydney Art & About Festival