Getting your Australian Tax Back: FAQS10:52 AM on Wed 18 Jun 2014

So it’s that Tax Back time of the year again! Here is what you need to know...

What is a Tax Return?

Everybody that works in Australia will pay tax on their income. If you are an international student, a working holiday maker or holder of a 457 Visa, usually 29% of your income will be automatically deducted for tax purposes. When you leave Australia, or at the end of the financial year (June 30), you can claim a tax refund.


If you worked in Australia.


June 30 is the end of the Australia’s financial year. Write in your diary. You can apply for your tax return for any work that you have done in Australia between July 1st 2013 to June 30th 2014.

What if I am leaving the country before June 30?

If you are leaving Australia you can apply for your tax return at any time, as long as you will not be returning to work before June 30.

What will I need for my Tax return?

  • Passport
  • Tax File Number (this can usually be found on your pay slips or PayG Summary)
  • A PayG Summary (also known as a Group Certificate) or your Final Pay Slip from each employer

At the end of the financial year your employer should give you a PayG Summary. This is a summary of all work and tax deducted for that employer throughout the financial year. If you cannot find your documents, your tax agent can help you retrieve them for an additional cost.

How long does it take?

It will usually take 2 – 4 weeks for you to receive your Australian tax refund once you have successfully lodged your application

What is the average refund amount?

Most working holiday makers will pay 29% Tax on their income. The average tax refund is around $2500.

How much does it cost?

If you have worked in Australia you are legally liable to submit a tax return. Most companies have a no refund, no fee policy. This means that you can register your details for free and if you are not entitled to a tax refund you will not need to pay a fee. You can apply for your refund for free online at, however it can be extremely confusing! We recommend using a Tax Agent specialising in working holiday makers. prices: 

For standard Australian tax returns: $99

For Australian residents for tax purposes the fee is $99 + levy, plus 9% of the return amount

Can I have it returned into an overseas bank account?

Yes you can have your tax refund deposited into an international bank account at an extra cost (usually about $20).

What if I have lost my payslips?

You can ask your employer for a PayG Summary at the end of the financial year. If you are missing this however most tax agents will help you retrieve the documents.

Am I an Australian resident for tax purposes?

During the first 6 months of your time in Australia you are legally classified as a non resident for tax purposes. If you have stayed for longer than 6 months and have demonstrated a tenancy to stay you will be considered as a resident for tax purposes. When you complete your tax form you will be asked questions such as your address, length of stay, length of employment, etc which will determine your status.


Chat to the staff at any of our Base hostels, or email and we will get you on your way. You will

  1. Fill out the forms provided along with any documents needed
  2. You will receive an estimated tax refund amount and provided with an online tracking code
  3. You will receive the refund within 2 – 4 weeks. This can be deposited into your Australian or overseas bank account*

*Tax Refunds can be deposited into an overseas bank account. This will incur an international transfer fee of around $20 and may take a little longer for processing

What is Superannuation and can I claim that back?

Usually if you earn more than $450 a month you will have paid Superannuation. Once you have left Australia you can claim your Superannuation. You can do this at any time during the year.

But I am a Jobsearch Australia Member?

Lucky you! If you are a Jobsearch Australia member all you need to do is contact your local Jobsearch Australia specialist, or email

Tags: Tax Back


varun mishra: 04:44 AM, Wed 26 Nov 2014
Thanks for sharing such a very informative post with us, i was wonderinf with the same question

luke h: 03:23 PM, Wed 11 Mar 2015
very helpfull thank you very much

Tweet Thompson : 07:59 PM, Mon 06 Jul 2015
I have a question about my tax and weather I can claim for it if I'm not in Australia? I'm now in Newzealand and don't plan to go back to Aussie any time soon how would I go about this?

Raju: 08:03 AM, Wed 15 Jul 2015
Hi , i Stayed 2months 15 days in Australia .Can i file tax returns for that period. please give me some clarification .

Add Comments

Name *  
Email (will not be published)
Comments *  

To help prevent spam comments, please click on the bug

I love Queenstown!:

I love Queenstown, and so will you :) more

Base Magnetic Island is truly magnetic:

Magnetic Island is Located within the islands of the Great Barrier Reef in north Queensland. Its more

Rotorua - Feel the Spirit:

You are visiting New Zealand, you jump on your bus and hear your next stop will be Rotorua – New more

2 Dutchies and a Campervan:

Traveling in Campervan is a great way to experience more

Around the World in one City - Melbourne:

Melbourne Has Everything you could possibly desire and more


Contact Us | About Us | Base or XBase | Hostel or Backpacker | Base Jumping | Work & Travel | Full Moon Down Under | Business News | Nomads Fraser Island | MojosurfMad Travel | Privacy Policy | Terms & ConditionsSitemap

Copyright © 2003–2011 Base Backpackers Pty Ltd ABN 14 099 0555 71 | Base Backpackers GST 086-023-849 | Trademark ™ The “Base” name and red “X” are licensed trademarks of Base Backpackers. A.C.B. Holdings Ltd covers New Zealand bookings.| All rights reserved. Images supplied by Joe Florian, Cybele Malinowski, Miles Holden, Tourism Australia, Tourism New Zealand & Base.