10 Facts you didn't know about Humpback Whales10:21 AM on Tue 20 May 2014
Every June, 17,000 Humpback Whales begin their migration along the East Coast of Australia. To celebrate, here are 10 FACTS you didn't know about Humpback Whales!
- The average brain size of a Humpback Whale is 5kgs.
- Humpback Whales get busy (breed), give birth and raise their calves in the warm waters of Tonga.
- The average Humpback Whale weighs 40 tonnes and reaches lengths of up to 16 metres.
- The 'Whale Song' is unique to each social group.
- Humpback Whales are extremely acrobatic and are able to lift their entire 40 tonne bodies completely out of the water.
- The average Humpback Whale is the size of 11 Elephants or 600 persons!
- A Humpback Whale's Lungs are the size of a small car.
- Humpback Whales eat up to 1.5 tonnes a day, they feed on krill, small shrimp-like animals, and small fish.
- A Humpback Whale on average lives to 48 years of age - however is likely to reach 100!
- The Humpback Whale can reach speeds of up to 10 knots, which is approximatly 18.5km/hr.
The Whale Season in Australia is from June to November. Humpback Whales can be spotted along the East Coast of Australia and tours depart from Sydney, Brisbane, Byron Bay, the Gold Coast & Hervey Bay.
If you are cruising out to Fraser Island, along the Whitsundays or from Cairns to the Great Barrier Reef - keep your eyes peeled! You can also usually spot them along the Bondi to Coogee walk in Sydney. some were spotted just two days ago playing with dolphins!
For more information contact our Travel Gurus via email@example.com.
I love Queenstown!:
I love Queenstown, and so will you :)...read more
Base Magnetic Island is truly magnetic:
Magnetic Island is Located within the islands of the Great Barrier Reef in north Queensland. Its ...read more
Rotorua - Feel the Spirit:
You are visiting New Zealand, you jump on your bus and hear your next stop will be Rotorua – New ...read more
2 Dutchies and a Campervan:
Traveling in Campervan is a great way to experience Australia....read more
Around the World in one City - Melbourne:
Melbourne Has Everything you could possibly desire and more....read more